The Central Okanagan Economic Development Commission (COEDC) is requesting expressions of interest for new additions to the 2016 Advisory Board. A position on the Advisory Board of Directors offers individuals an opportunity to contribute to the strategic vision of the COEDC.
The Commission is funded by and accountable to the elected board of the Regional District of Central Okanagan; it is made up of two unincorporated electoral areas and the four member municipalities of Lake Country, Kelowna, West Kelowna and Peachland plus the Westbank First Nation.
Although accountable to the Regional District of Central Okanagan Board, the COEDC has a 40+ member advisory body including representatives of business associations, local government, and key industry leaders of Agriculture, Advanced Manufacturing, Professional Services, Construction & Development, Technology and Tourism. The Advisory Board acts as a conduit of community and business information; this information provides staff the ability to identify tactics, activities and partnerships in order to facilitate a healthy, dynamic and sustainable community economy.
Applicants will possess demonstrated experience in a professional or commercial background, detailing any specialized areas of expertise (commerce, finance, law, marketing, health, manufacturing, technology, aerospace, agriculture, tourism, etc).
All Expressions of Interest will be held in strict confidence. Expressions of Interest will be confirmed upon receipt.
Applications close on Monday, November 30th, 2015.
Please submit your resume and contact information
(mailing address, phone number and email) to:
Role of an Advisory Board Member
- Board members provide local knowledge, direction and expertise during the planning and implementation of the COEDC's programs
- Opportunity to contribute to the strategic vision of the COEDC
- Non-fiduciary responsibilities
- Advisory Board Members are not responsible for fund raising
Personal Competencies and Essential Skills
A board member should preferably reside within the Central Okanagan area and must be able to demonstrate:
- An active community involvement and an appreciation of the diverse range of community values and sensitivities
- Visionary capacity - ability to see the future need of the sector
- Good working knowledge of a business environment
- Must have email access capable of accepting large files
- Sound understanding of the relationship between Economic Development Commission and external stakeholders, e.g. Government and related statutory authorities, Chambers of Commerce, local industry
Commitment of Time
- Ten board meetings for the year (1.5 hours per meeting starting at 7:30am, 4th Thursday of each month except July and August)
- Occasional presentations in relationship to market intelligence in the sector you represent
- Preparation for board meeting (<one hour per month)
Board members are appointed for a term two of years commencing January 1st 2016.